We can officially say we’re moving to Canvas!
While this was a fantastic move on our part, choosing this LMS over another VLE/LMS works for us – see here for our journey of decision, it has come with challenges (as you would have with any VLE move)
There will always be teething issues with any VLE/LMS move, so a few things to keep in mind before you start the move:
- Make sure your systems are sorted in the background – they all need to talk to each other and you have a cohesive system network, this will help in the initial run up, integration, automation and general running of Canvas.
- Make sure your information is up-to-date: Cannot stress this enough, when moving systems and automating systems your core information about courses and tutors needs to be as up-to-date as possible.
- Have a reliable someone from Management Information Systems – we’re lucky that we have a really great team here which we work with, but if that wasn’t the case the implementation would have been extremely difficult to automate.
- Already have a game plan set – may seem like an obvious one, but it’s something to think about. What structure do you want in relation to how information is presented in the LMS? How are you structuring the sub-accounts?
- In the immortal words of ‘The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy’ – Don’t Panic! – If something goes wrong, it can be fixed. Just remember that there’s a test site (for Canvas anyway) and just save all your files to your computer first and then upload them.
However always keep in mind that the short-term hard work and stress pays off in the long-term, and no matter which way you cut it you’ll always get that moving over to a different VLE.
We are working on the background systems (we’re getting there) and the long-term benefits (analytics, format, structure, interface, ease of use etc) are going to outweigh the next few months while we get our act together.
Bring on Canvas!!!